HormoneSynergy is a concierge age management practice following the principles of functional medicine. We focus on the underlying causes of aging and your symptoms or disease process and integrate evidence-based therapies and recommendations based on physiology (how the body works).
Treatment is individualized and comprehensive. We are most successful working with individuals and couples who are committed to preventing, slowing, and reversing diseases of aging and who share our vision of achieving vibrant health and longevity.
Your treatment may include bioidentical hormones, testosterone supplementation, nutraceuticals (pharmaceutical-quality supplements), IV therapy, prescription medications (when necessary), diet and lifestyle modifications, cardiovascular, neurotransmitter and brain support.
Becoming a Patient
HormoneSynergy has two options for services:
HormoneSynergy Optimal Aging Assessment - For those who want a comprehensive assessment of their current health but do not want Dr. Retzler to make recommendations, prescribe hormones or medications, or monitor their care.
HormoneSynergy Way™ Concierge Medicine Membership - For those who want to partner with us one year at a time to create and maintain a plan to achieve optimal health and vitality with the goal of extending their "health span."
HormoneSynergy Optimal Aging Assessment
This assessment may be the most comprehensive evaluation of your health that you’ve ever received. This option includes:
- Lab work consisting of hormone evaluation, advanced cardiovascular risk assessment, and if indicated, genetic tests to detect variants in genes that may influence aging, cardiovascular disease, dementia, and cancer risk. You will receive a written interpretation of all results.
- Hormone evaluation includes adrenal function (DHEA-S and cortisol), thyroid function (TSH, free T4, free T3, and thyroid antibodies if indicated), sex steroids (estradiol and testosterone), and pregnenolone. Additional hormones (progesterone, IGF-1, PTH, gonadotropins FSH, LH) are tested if indicated.
- A comprehensive metabolic panel, hemoglobin A1c, insulin level and HOMO-IR helps determine diabetes risk, liver health, kidney function, and electrolyte levels.
- Homocysteine, inflammatory markers (hsCRP, and Lp-PLA2 and MPO if indicated) aids in assessing methylation status, inflammation, and blood vessel health.
- State-of-the-art cardiovascular tests including advanced lipid tests (LDL-P, apoB, small dense LDL, HDL subpopulations, apoA-1, Lp(a)) are measured. If needed, cardiac muscle function is assessed by measuring cardiac troponin-T and NT-proBNP.
- Fatty acids, vitamin B12, vitamin D, Coenzyme Q10, iron, and other nutrients (based on individual need) are tested.
- Genetic tests include ApoE genotype, MTHFR genotype, and with a history or concern of blood clots, prothrombin and factor V Leiden genotype. SLOCO1B1 may be ordered to screen for possible statin-induced myopathy.
- Computerized, validated neurocognitive testing helps assess memory and brain function.
- Written interpretation with treatment suggestions is provided at your initial appointment.
- Brain system questionnaire (developed by Daniel Amen, MD) screens for neurotransmitter imbalances, attention deficit, and mood disorders and helps determine treatment approach.
- Seca mBCA 515 Body Composition testing provides a highly accurate assessment of fat (including visceral or “belly” fat) and muscle percentages and basal metabolic rate (calories burned at rest). After age 30, many people lose 3% to 5% of their muscle mass per decade. Body composition testing provides a foundation to develop a plan to rebuild and maintain muscle.
- Optimal aging questionnaire provides a thorough lifestyle evaluation with written recommendations
- Full 1.5 - 2 hour consultation with Dr. Retzler to review all results, answer questions, discuss bioidentical hormone replacement, prescription medication and supplement options.
HormoneSynergy Way™ Concierge Medicine Membership
For those who want to partner with us one year at a time to create and maintain a plan to achieve optimal health and vitality with the goal of treating and preventing the most common diseases with aging and extending their "health span".
Concierge medicine is a patient-focused relationship between a doctor and his or her patient where the patient pays a fee for improved access and high-quality, individualized medical care. With concierge care the focus is shifted away from a symptom management, disease maintenance approach toward a preventive, health-centered one.
If you want Dr. Retzler to monitor your care and prescribe hormones and / or medication you MUST become a HormoneSynergy Concierge Member.
Concierge membership benefits include:
Optimal Aging Assessment (outlined above)
Two hour initial consultation with Dr. Retzler to discuss your goals, current health concerns, past medical history, and family history. During this visit you will develop an extensive, invidualized plan to reach your health goals. You will receive a written treatment plan which outlines diet and lifestyle suggestions, nutraceutical recommendations, bioidentical hormone options, and prescription medications if needed. Dr. Retzler will prescribe hormones and needed medications at this visit.
One year membership including up to three 45-minute follow up appointments to review repeat lab or imaging results, discuss progress, and make adjustments to your plan.
VO2 Max to determine your aerobic fitness. VO2 max is considered one of the best indicators of your lung and cardiovascular health and endurance.
Coronary artery CT with calcium score is a non-invasive CT scan of the heart. It will calculate your risk of having or developing heart disease by measuring the amount of calcified (hard) plaque in the coronary arteries.
Carotid artery ultrasound with carotid intima media thickness measurement detects plaque and can assess arterial thickness (carotid intima media thickness or “CIMT”). The carotid arteries provide a “window” to the coronary arteries (the arteries that feed the heart) since carotid plaque >1.5 to 2.0 mm usually correlates with plaque in the coronary arteries. Carotid plaque and increased CIMT may indicate increased stroke and dementia risk.
Heart Rate Variability Testing measures the beat-to-beat interval between heartbeats. Heart rate variability (HRV) assessment measures autonomic nervous system (sympathetic or “fight or flight” and parasympathetic or “rest and digest”) balance. HRV also indicates psychological resiliency and behavioral flexibility, reflecting the capacity to self-regulate and adapt to changing social or environmental demands.
Private EMR communication privileges with Dr. Retzler
Repeat complimentary neurocognitive testing
Repeat complimentary body composition testing
Unlimited complimentary nutrition and lifestyle coaching
$1200 credit toward the purchase of nutraceuticals (pharmaceutical-quality supplements) and IV therapy.
If you have certain commercial insurance (United Healthcare, Moda, BlueCross BlueShield, Pacific Source) or Medicare ADVANTAGE, initial laboratory testing can cost between $0 and $318 depending upon the testing ordered.
If you do not have insurance or you if you have Providence, Kaiser, Medicare, Medicare supplemental, Medicaid VA or TriCare, initial lab testing can cost $300 to $500.
In order to provide individualized, comprehensive care, we do not participate with any health insurance companies. We do not bill insurance companies or accept reimbursement from any insurance companies, nor are we a Medicare provider. You may attempt reimbursement for office visits by submitting a health insurance claim form with diagnosis codes to your insurance company (we will provide and fill out this form for you.)
If you believe our comprehensive approach to longevity matches your health philosophy and needs, we'd be delighted to schedule your initial testing and appointment. We look forward to partnering with you in helping you achieve vibrant health and optimal aging. Please feel free to set up a phone appointment to discuss your specific needs, goals, and questions.